50 Things I Will Teach My Daughter
There are many, many things I want to teach my daughter but this is my list of things that I think are really important to teach young women today!
1. Poop in the toilet. Please.
3. Makeup isn’t guaranteed to make you beautiful, but being kind is.
4. Don’t dumb yourself down for anyone.
5. Going new places is awesome, but so is the process of getting there.
6. Love isn’t determined by gender.
7. Toys and colors also aren’t determined by gender.
8. Disney is the best thing ever invented.
9. Reading and writing doesn’t make you a “nerd”, so if you like it, do it.
10. Sharing is caring, except when it comes to men.
11. Be faithful.
12. Your body is as important as your mind, take care of it.
13. You can be in a relationship and still have “you time”.
14. Don’t ever bully.
15. Harry Potter is awesome.
16. Video games are awesome too, but, repeat after me, they are not your life.
17. There’s no such thing as too much glitter.
18. There’s nothing wrong with being outdoorsy as a female.
19. If you like playing in dirt, play in dirt.
20. Don’t be afraid to be the only person supporting what you believe in.
21. Speak your mind without reservations.
22. Do not shun people because they think differently than you, keep an open mind.
23. Try a new food at least once a month.
24. Cooking is fun, and don’t be scared to experiment with recipes.
25. No “zero days”. Always do at least ONE thing a day that gets you closer to a goal or a dream.
26. High heels don’t make you a woman.
27. Educate yourself on political news. Do not be someone who constantly complains about the government and doesn’t even take the time to vote. Seriously, don’t.
28. Music is important.
29. You don’t have to decide what you want to do in high school, sometimes it takes a little longer and that’s okay.
30. Find a hobby, like crafting, or a sport.
31. Winning isn’t everything, but it’s okay to celebrate a win, and mourn a loss. Just don’t be a horrible sport like your Dad is, okay?
32. Take time to unwind.
33. It’s possible to have fun with people sans alcohol and drugs. I promise.
34. Selfies are awesome, but don’t forget to take pictures with people. Those will be some of your favorites.
35. Jimmy Fallon is amazing.
36. I will never be mad at you for telling me the truth.
37. Unplug. I don’t know what technology will be like in twenty years, but I can tell you that unplugging for a day, a week, or even a month, won’t be the end of your life.
38. Buy cheap sunglasses, so if they get lost in a body of water, you won’t kick yourself.
39. If you find something that isn’t yours, return it to lost and found.
40. Dirt, and mud, and all that fun stuff, it washes off. So play in it if you wish.
41. Marilyn Monroe was beautiful, and she wasn’t a size 0.
42. Be healthy, but also enjoy your food.
43. On a first date, don’t be late. I’m positive your date will care more about how it actually went conversationally than how you look. Look nice, but don’t overdo it.
44. If you have curly hair like me, learn to style it before you turn 21.
45. Be active in your community.
46. Make people remember who you are.
47. When they remember who you are, make it for good reasons.
48. Your father and I support you in any route you choose to take in life, even if we seem shocked or upset by it at first.
49. “Keep your friends close but your enemies closer”, is bullshit. Discard enemies and remove them from your life. They aren’t worth it.
50. You matter. No matter what anybody says, thinks, or feels, you matter.